UrbanArt Request for Qualifications for Charjean Park
Site and Project Descriptions:
UrbanArt and the City of Memphis are commissioning a work of public art for Charjean Park located on Ketchum Rd at Crosby near Airways Blvd and I-240. This park can be seen from the I-240 Expressway.
Artists will be selected based on previous experience with the design and production of exterior public art sculptures. Artists are also expected to have the technical capabilities to design and install such projects, including providing maintenance instructions. The finished project must require little to no regular maintenance.
Scope of Work:
The selection committee is interested in proposals that create a wayfinding system that will be placed around the walking trail for children that are utilizing the park from Airways Middle School and the nearby neighborhood. The wayfinding system should include inspirational/motivational slogans or quotes that promote success and leadership. Final artwork should compliment the characteristics and neighborhood identity of the site. The artist selected shall be expected to conduct community workshops with the general public for education purposes, as well as collaborate closely with site architects and designers. Note that artists are permitted to work with outside contractors to fabricate the actual work.
The selection committee will select 3 finalists based on their qualifications, and interview each individually before selecting 1 artist (or artist team). Finalists will receive $1,500 for a design proposal, which will be discussed in the interview.
Deadline: 4P Friday 05 November 2010
Eligibility: Local: Artists living in Memphis or Shelby County for 2 years
Please see http://www.urbanartcommission.org/sampledocuments.html, particularly the UrbanArt Artist Handbook, for more information about applying to UrbanArt projects and how the selection process works.
Please submit the following:
• Typed, one-page letter of interest noting the project for which you are applying. Explain your interest and your general approach to its design and production. Note: this should not take the form of a formal design proposal, but rather a description of your methods for producing a design and finished project if selected.
• Résumé, not to exceed 2 pages.
• Recent DIGITAL images of your work that are relevant to this project and are good representations of your style of work. Send up to 10 digital images in JPEG format, 1920 pixels maximum on the longest side, 72 dpi, with compression settings resulting in the best image quality under 2MB file size.
• Image identification sheet with location, brief description, and project budget.
• List of three professional references, including current phone and email.
• Optional: Self-addressed, stamped envelope with postage sufficient for the return of your materials. Materials will not be returned without one.
Send applications to:
Attn: Charjean Park
2549 Broad Avenue
Memphis, TN 38112
For more information contact:
Tiena Gwin, Projects Manager
(901) 454-0474 / firstname.lastname@example.org
All proposals must be received by 4P Friday 05 November 2010.
To ensure fairness to all, there are no extensions or waivers of deadlines.
Applicants will be notified by letter as to the status of their application.
Commissioning of artists by UrbanArt and the pursuit of all UrbanArt activities are
implemented without preference to racial or ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disability or age. UrbanArt reserves the right to modify this solicitation and to request additional information or proposals from any or all participating artists.
UrbanArt reserves the right to accept or reject, at any time prior to the commissioning of a work, any or all proposals when the acceptance, rejection, waiver or advertisement would be in the best interest of the project. In addition, UrbanArt may solicit proposals from artists not responding to this call and reserves the right to select an artist outside of the pool of artists responding to this call.The staff of UrbanArt shall be responsible for all correspondence and communication by and between applicants and members of selection panels. Discussion regarding these projects by and between any applicant and any member of a selection panel outside of regularly scheduled meetings during the selection process may be grounds for the disqualification of the applicant. Such determination shall be in the sole discretion of UrbanArt.