Request for Qualifications for Skate Park Artwork
Site and Project Descriptions:
UrbanArt and the City of Memphis are commissioning a work of public art for the new Skate Park to be built at Tobey Park.
Artists will be selected based on previous experience with the design and production of exterior public art sculptures. Artists are also expected to have the technical capabilities to design and install such projects, including providing maintenance instructions. The finished project must require little to no regular maintenance. The selection committee is interested in proposals that include shaded seating and are also interested in functional, skate-able work. Final artwork should compliment the characteristics and neighborhood identity of the site. The artist selected shall be expected to conduct community workshops with the general public for education purposes, as well as collaborate closely with site architects and designers. Note that artists are permitted to work with outside contractors to fabricate the actual work.
The selection committee will select 3 finalists based on their qualifications, and interview each individually before selecting 1 artist (or artist team). Finalists will receive $1,500 for a design proposal, which will be discussed in the interview.
Budget: $59,250 total
Deadline: 4:00p Friday 08 October 2010
Eligibility: Local: Living in Memphis or Shelby County for 5 years[i]
Please see http://www.urbanartcommission.org/sampledocuments.html, particularly the UrbanArt Artist Handbook, for more information about applying to UrbanArt projects and how the selection process works.
Please submit the following:
· Typed, one-page letter of interest that notes which mural you are applying for, and explains your interest in this project and your general approach to the project.
· A sketch is not required, but may be included. Sketches must be no larger than 8.5 x 11 inches. Please do not send original artwork.
· Resumé, not to exceed 2 pages.
· Recent DIGITAL images of your work that are relevant to this project and are good representations of your style of work. Send up to 10 digital images in JPEG format, 1920 pixels maximum on the longest side, 72 dpi, with compression settings resulting in the best image quality under 2MB file size.
· Image identification sheet with location, brief description, and budget of each project
· List of three professional references, including current phone numbers and email addresses
· Self-addressed, stamped envelope with postage sufficient for the return of your materials. Materials will not be returned without one.
Send applications to:
Attn: Skate Park
2549 Broad Avenue
Memphis, TN 38112
For more information contact:
Whitney Ranson, Projects Manager
(901) 454-0474 / email@example.com
All proposals must be received by 4:00 PM, Friday, October 8, 2010.
To ensure fairness to all, there are no extensions or waivers of deadlines.
Applicants will be notified by letter as to the status of their application.
Commissioning of artists by UrbanArt and the pursuit of all UrbanArt activities are implemented without preference to racial or ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disability or age. UrbanArt reserves the right to modify this solicitation and to request additional information or proposals from any or all participating artists. UrbanArt reserves the right to accept or reject, at any time prior to the commissioning of a work, any or all proposals when the acceptance, rejection, waiver or advertisement would be in the best interest of the project. In addition, UrbanArt may solicit proposals from artists not responding to this call and reserves the right to select an artist outside of the pool of artists responding to this call. The staff of UrbanArt shall be responsible for all correspondence and communication by and between applicants and members of selection panels. Discussion regarding these projects by and between any applicant and any member of a selection panel outside of regularly scheduled meetings during the selection process may be grounds for the disqualification of the applicant. Such determination shall be in the sole discretion of UrbanArt.
[i] Artists that have produced two City of Memphis 'Percent for Art' projects in the last 5 years are not eligible for this project as mandated by City ordinance.