design a bike rack!
Design submissions must be turned in on or before January 22, 2008
Project to be installed by April 1, 2008
The Memphis Brooks Museum of Art is commissioning an artist-designed
bike rack. The museum is committed to being a green organization through
the conservation of resources, community education, and a reduced
environmental footprint. The primary goal of this project is to promote
energy conservation by encouraging visitors to bike to the museum. A
panel of bicyclists and art professionals will review the designs. Jurors
are looking for a creative approach to the project that takes into account
aesthetics and the museum’s site within Overton Park.
This project is open to all residents of Shelby County.
The $5,000 project budget includes a $1,000 design fee and $4,000 to
cover all materials, transportation, and installation.
While aesthetics are an important consideration, applicants should be
sure that the purpose of the bike rack is self-evident, that it is easy to
use, and that it fulfills the following criteria:
- The rack should hold from 4 to 6 bikes. It should be no longer than
- 10 feet in length.
- Materials used should be weather-resistant, durable, and easy to
- maintain, and should not damage the bicycles.
- The materials and design should not be hazardous to the safety of
- The bike frame and one tire of each bicycle should be able to be
- secured to the rack.
- The rack should function for a wide variety of bicycle sizes.
- The rack should blend in aesthetically with the surroundings.
- The rack will be installed in a concrete base.
- Artist statement
- A one-page written proposal of the project concept. Please include
- project budget
- A sketch or some type of visual representation of your design.
- Include a key if necessary
- 10-15 images of past work. These must be sent in one of the forms
- listed below. Please label your work with your name
- Slides placed in a plastic slide sheet
- CD of digital images in JPEG format, 1920 pixels maximum on
- the longest side, 72 dpi, with compression settings resulting in
- the best image quality under 2MB file size
- CD of PowerPoint presentation (no text, please)
- Numbered image identification sheet, stating the title, medium,
- date completed, project budget, and dimensions of the artwork
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage for the
- return of slides, etc
Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of art professionals
submission of materials
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
1934 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Questions? Please email Marina.Pacini@brooksmuseum.org